Information on the City’s Services, now accessible. Whether you’re setting up a business or applying for a community tax certificate (cedula), checking out the Health Services, or simply trying to find out more about this city, do try the links below. For the history of Dumaguete City, read more here.
The Province of Negros Oriental’s Capital City is also its smallest. Yet this prime destination by the bay has 10 universities and colleges, earning it the nickname “University Town”.
Despite the small area, Dumaguete is well supplied with establishments and institutions necessary for a good life: workplaces, schools, businesses providing goods and services, and a good support system.
A recent survey by the Department of Tourism had Dumaguete in the Top 10 Tourist Destinations in the country.
Dumaguete City is the capital of Negros Oriental, the province on the eastern side of Negros Island that is part of the Central Visayas Region. It shares boundaries, and is often referred collectively as Metro Dumaguete, with the towns of Sibulan in the North, Valencia in the West, and Bacong in the South.
The research of Catholic priest and historian Fr. Roman T. Sagun Jr. indicates that Dumaguete was created as a parish on March 15, 1620 by Cebu Bishop Pedro de Arce, OSA(1612-1645) and included “the districts of Siaton, Marabago, Maralongon and others of that coast” in keeping with the instructions of Governor General Alonso Fajardo.
Fr. Sagun uncovered, in the Philippine National Archives and the Archives in Marcilla, Spain, that Dumaguete was chosen as the capital town of Negros Oriental when this new province was created on October 25, 1889 through a Spanish Royal Decree. This new political unit was validated on January 1, 1890 by Governor General Valeriano Weyler and inaugurated with the arrival of its first governor, Joaquin Tavera, in May 1890.
Some documents (Provincia de NegrosOriental, Memoria) Fr. Sagun found showed that Dumaguete was chosen because even then, it was “the most important town“ on the eastern side of the island in addition to “commercial and agricultural wealth, and for which reason all kinds of ships” called at its port.
A few years later, after the Philippine-American War, the Americans established a civil government in Negros Oriental and Dumaguete. This lasted from its establishment in May 1, 1901 until World War II reached the shores of Negros Island. On May 26, 1942, the Japanese Imperial Forces occupied Dumaguete relatively unchallenged since most of the local population had beaten a strategic retreat into the mountains where they formed guerilla units. On April 26, 1945, the twin actions of the US Army and the Filipino guerilla forces liberated Dumaguete.
According to Silliman University professor and historian Dr. Earl Jude Paul L. Cleope, three years after WWII President Elpidio Quirino signed Republic Act 327, creating the City of Dumaguete. The bill had been introduced by Hon. Lorenzo Teves, Representative of the First District of Negros Oriental to the First Congress of the Philippine Republic. President Quirino himself and other national officials attended the official inauguration on November 24, 1948. This charter was revised on June 21, 1969 by Republic Act 5797, or the Revised Charter of Dumaguete City.